"Through a college graduation gift, Helen Lundeberg enrolled at the Pasadena Stickney School of Art in 1930, where she met and, eventually married, teacher Lorser Feitelson. Together they co-founded 'Post Surrealism' in 1934, integrating classic subjective association with personal symbology and vision.
Lundeberg was employed by the FAP/WPA in the print and mural division from 1936 until the Project closed in 1942. Of her many murals, the last one was the spectacular petrachrome mural wall, 241 feet long, ""The History of Transportation"", for the City of Inglewood, California. At the time, this was the largest such project in the United States.
By 1942 she commenced a decade of post-surreal 'mood' paintings that included intimate still lifes, evocative tree-strewn landscapes and...outer space. Lundeberg's work summons forth a spiritual mood, a peaceful mood through a 'Helen Lundeberg palette' of subtle color nuances and intuitive form.
Though she tentatively explored geometric elements in the early 1950s, ambiguous space and disparate objects took precedence. However, by 1957 she confirmed hardedge abstraction in a series of architectonic interiors.
Throughout her long career, Helen Lundeberg was inspired by many subjects that varied from minuscule worlds to pulsating planets, from still lifes to architectonic structures; she merged exterior and interior space with visible and implied pathways. Her rare 'self-portraits' are treasured. Throughout her creative life, the 'Helen Lundeberg mood' and the 'Helen Lundberg palette' were constants."
Acrylic on canvas 1970
20 x 20 inches (50.8 x 50.8cm)